Vegetarian Christmas Pies
Ingredients and Method
- 100g Leeks, thinly chopped
- 150g Brussel Sprouts, chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp Ground Nutmeg
- 100g Chestnut Mushrooms
- 5 Thyme Leaves
- 100g Potatoes, thinly chopped
- 100g Lentils, rinsed and drained
- 80g Cooked Chestnuts, finely chopped
- 150ml Double Cream
- 2 tbsp Cranberry Jam
- 1 Egg, beaten to glaze
- 500g Shortcrust Pastry
- Pre-heat the oven to 190C, then fry the leeks and brussel sprouts until softened.
- Add the mushrooms, nutmeg and thyme and allow the mushrooms to soften. Stir in the potatoes, followed by the lentils and chestnuts. Cook the mixture for 2 minutes then add the double cream. Take off the heat and stir in the cranberry jam.
- Roll out the pastry and line each pie dish with pastry, then add filling to each pie dish until full.
- Using the remaining pastry – cut out a pastry lid and place this on the top of each pie.
- Cut the top of the pastry lid and wash each pie with the beaten egg to glaze.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve immediately.